RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled kinda day.

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 10 Oct 2010

    These early Ellroy books are like fritos....you can't have just one. So I reread Because The Night. Maybe this time I will finally manage to read Suicide Hill (the only one I have never consumed) as well. I haven't read any of these for more than twenty years, so I'd pretty much forgotten everything about the Lloyd Hopkins stories. BTN was OK until I encountered our old friend, the revolver with silencer combo. I'm far from a gun freak, but you would expect these guys to get the basic facts right.

    Got to follow that up, courtesy of Internet Archive, with the Ida Lupino written and directed flick The Hitch- Hiker. Very good movie. In short, I had a Rara Avis sort of day.

    James