RARA-AVIS: Re: The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 26 Sep 2010

    > Jeff wrote:

    > Just got The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories at Borders for $15 (40% Off all paperbacks this weekend). Looks like a lot of good reading.

    It does indeed. A nice companion to Otto Penzler's other collection this year, THE BEST AMERICAN NOIR CENTURY, which he co-edited with Ellroy. A lot of overlap, although, from what I gather (my copy's on its way) Chandler and Hammett are disqualified from the noir collection because they wrote private eye stories?

    Can that be right?

    As though the occupation of the protagonist alone would disqualify something from fitting into the sub-sub-sub genre bunghole they call noir...

    Ah, Otto...

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."