Re: RARA-AVIS: The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 19 Sep 2010

    Yes, of those claiming to represent Chandler's estate, Helga Greene was perhaps the last to care or even know enough about his writing to see that his legacy wasn't abused.  The 'estate' has made many mistakes in its duties, one of which was its choice of Robert B Parker to complete 'The Poodle Springs Story', another in allowing James Caan to play Philip Marlowe (one 'l' and an 'e' at the end) in the HBO adaptation of it.  Caan was too old and stiff in his playing and the actress playing Marlowe's wife carelessly too young.  They even had to insert a running gag about the disparity of their ages in Tom Stoppard's script
    - and for some reason not call the character Linda Loring at all.  They then moved the action forward in time to the 'Sixties so that they could include a subplot about Mafia involvement in the JFK assassination... So, someone here mentioned that actually, we, the fans, are the true caretakers of Chandler's estate.  I think maybe they were right.

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Patrick King <abrasax93@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, 19 September, 2010 16:25:51 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: The Long Goodbye

      Chandler's "estate"? Who's Chandler's estate? One of his mistresses grandchildren? What the hell would they know about the "proper representation" of Phillip Marlow?

    Patrick King