RARA-AVIS: Re: Dash Hammett et al.

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2010

    Vince wrote:

    > I've heard good things about "The Long Embrace: Raymond
    > Chandler and the Woman He Loved" by Judith Freeman, but haven't read it yet.

    Read it, for completeness' sake after you've read all the others, but don't expect too much. It's a frustrating, gossipy little tell-all that tells little, and is at times as much about Freeman as it is about Chandler, high on idle speculation, sloppy errors and Freeman sitting in cars staring at places where buildings that Chandler used to live in used to be. Which is not as fascinating as the author thinks it is.

    I know a lot of people raved about it, but my feelings are a lot more mixed. I blogged about it a few years ago at http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2008/02/its-shame-about-ray.html

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."