Re: RARA-AVIS: Bold Statements Challenged

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 06 Sep 2010

    I certainly have to agree wholeheartedly with you there.  I loved the old 'The Spirit' '40s comic strip and am still recovering from how Miller missed not only the bullseye but the entire essentaiily light hearted target with his cinematic interpretation of that one.  Actually there was talk of Frank Miller directing
    'Trouble is My Business', a Chandler short story which didn't even have Marlowe in it but now would for Miller's purposes.  That movie probably would have turned out as some sort of over-the-top 'Sin City' Mickey Spillane rather than Marlowe.  Subtle Miller ain't. As for 'Gone with the Wind' being better known nowadays than 'The Big Sleep', true, though I wish it were otherwise. 'Gone with the Wind', to risk another bold statement, is possibly the most irritating famous and revered movie ever:
    'Dallas', but without the comedy or the oil wells.

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Mon, 6 September, 2010 20:28:56 Subject: RARA-AVIS: Bold Statements Challenged

    Just keep Frank Miller away from it. And anyone who only "knows" Chandler from film or TV adaptations.

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."