Re: RARA-AVIS: Slayground

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hocking" <jchocking@...> wrote:

    > Actually one of my least favorite Parkers.
    > I mean, it's good, really good, because it's Westlake and Parker, but to my mind
    > it couldn't match the better efforts in the series.
    > What made it work so well for you?

    I am not the original poster, but I couldn't disagree more. I would say it is one of the best five, definitely. It is stripped bare of practically everything in order to leave Parker stranded and follow him constantly in a feverish escape. It has one of the highest concentrations of action not only in Westlake but anywhere. In its focus and intensity, it reminds me of the great work of Charles Williams. I have no problem calling it a classic.

    Best,

    mrt