RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper about to come on - TCM

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Kennedy <pbjk2004@...> wrote:

    > I think Robert Urich was hopelessly miscast as Spenser: altogether too smooth
    > around the edges, blow dryed and smarmy, even for such a Marlowe-Lite
    > character.  Selleck would actually have been a better choice and is actually
    > better as Jesse Stone on television than Stone is in the novels, probably
    > because we cannot hear what he is thinking as precisely as Parker lets us know
    > in the books and therefore we can ascribe a greater reality and depth to him
    > than might actually be present.
    > I think, though, that the casting people, particularly in television, can only
    > work with what is available to them and what their budgets can buy, so, say,
    > DeNiro or Russell Crowe as Spenser or whatever was never likely to happen even
    > if anyone had thought of it, which they probably shouldn't have, but you get my
    > meaning anyway, I hope.

    One missed opportunity was not casting the great Harry Dean Stanton as one of the classic PIs. I suspect that in his forties he would have been a great Op. He is alert but somewhat inscrutable, perfect temperament for Hammett. What do you say about an industry that so underutilizes one of its absolute best actors?

    Best,

    mrt