Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper about to come on - TCM

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2010

    Great thread. I recall that Archer gets described as tall and lean several times over the course of the 20-plus years MacDonald wrote about him.

    As for Newman, he was a bit too upbeat (a fine portrayal, nonetheless) to fit perfectly with MacDonald's titular character in "Harper," but boy did he nail the portrayal in "The Drowning Pool." Pitch-perfect for my money.

    And as for authors "getting it wrong" with their own characters, Robert B. Parker always pictured Tom Selleck as Spenser. I also believe that Selleck was Parker's first choice to play Jesse Stone.

    All the Best-

    Brian

    On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM, James Michael Rogers <jeddak5@cox.net>wrote:

    > Although Cary Grant did play a very credible, complicated and bitter tough
    > guy in Hitchcock's Notorious. Very different from the usual debonair figure
    > we associate with him.
    >
    > I was just reading an article by someone who described the act of reading
    > as esentially a passive experience. I think that is exactly wrong. I would
    > guess that we all have "our" version of Marlowe and Archer in our heads. The
    > fact that they are not described very clearly allows us to fill in the
    > details as it pleases us. A good book invites us in and allows us to, in
    > effect, be the cinematographer and casting director of the fictive
    > experiences unfolding in our minds. It obviously invoves some really
    > peersonal choices which is probably while we all feel so indignant when we
    > find that Hollywood has blown it's casting of a much loved character.
    >
    > James

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: