Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper about to come on - TCM

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 22 Aug 2010

    Regarding the character Newman plays in 'The Moving Target', I meant that he was very unlike the rather bland Archer of the novels in character, a bit too smart alecky and humorous.  You're right, though, in noting that Bogart, from the bits and pieces of description peppering Chandlers books in the mouths of others and self-deprecatingly in his own, was far too small in stature to be a perfect physical Marlowe.  His delivery of the Chandler dialogue, though, remains unequalled. Chandler himself, perhaps only half-jokingly, wrote that if you were to remark that Marlowe was as handsome as Cary Grant, Marlowe might not feel flattered.  All I can say to that is, thank God the studios never got the idea of Cary Grant playing Marlowe into their heads -- almost, but not quite, as bad a notion as Dick Powell, or Robert Montgomery, for that matter, as Marlowe. By coincidence, Ian Fleming also regarded Cary Grant as his ideal actor to play Bond.  Makes you kinda wonder whether authors know anything after all, doesn't it?

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Dick Lochte <dlochte@gmail.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, 22 August, 2010 19:24:00 Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper about to come on - TCM

      Patrick mentioned that Paul Newman did not resemble the Lew Archer of the novels. But does Macdonald ever tell us what Archer looked like? Does Chandler gives us much of a description of Marlowe, except for his height
    (which is where Bogart falls short -- sorry)? Describing the physical aspects of your hero isn't easy to do when you're writing first-person narration. Though Hammett managed to put the image of the Op in our minds. And MacDonald gave us a complete picture of Travis McGee, using McGee's often annoying self-referencing. I'm wondering if it might not be better to let the reader fill in the blanks. Any opinions?