RE: RARA-AVIS: JDM's "All These Condemned" and literary devices

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 21 Aug 2010

    First, thanks so much to everyone who responded to my query. Yet another great list of books to track down!

    Second, in my opinion "All These Condemned" is very much worth reading. It really engages you to think about and consider (not to mention repeatedly re-consider) a specific series of events in terms of both their objective and subjective natures. I don't know if it is as good as "Cry Hard, Cry Fast" (haven't read that one yet), but I do think it does not fall among JDM's lower tier work.

    Thanks again everyone!

    Best, Harry
    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Roy [chiun9@aol.com] Sent: August 21, 2010 12:43 AM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM's "All These Condemned" and literary devices

    But is 'All These Condemned' worth reading? It's one of those JDM books that I've had in my collection for eons but have never read. I've enjoyed almost all of his non-Travis McGee novels so I imagine I would like this. It never seems to be mentioned much in Macdonald discussions so I always assumed it was in the lower tier of his work. I usually concentrate on the ones that get more praise.

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)