RARA-AVIS: Re: Moratorium on serial murderer mysteries?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "David Corbett" <davidcorbettauthor@...> wrote:

    > The so-called serial killer is motivated largely by a sense of feverish sexual revenge. Murder provides some sort of sexual gratification, fueled by profound shame and fear of women. And for readers, that provides the titillation (great word).
    >
    > Everything else is just business.
    >
    > And by the way, if I'm supposed to feel sheepish for bringing up Camus (or Sophocles or Euripedes or Manatees), don't get your hopes up.

    You should not feel sheepish. This is a literary list, that is, a cultural list. Anyone can bring up anything that relates to the fiction we discuss, which obviously doesn't happen in a social, historical and cultural vacuum. In particular, I fail to see what is strange about bringing up Albert Camus, a central figure in the past century.

    Best,

    mrt