Re: RARA-AVIS: Garde à Vue

From: David Corbett (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2010

    If you have a region-free DVD player you should be able to find a playable DVD. Not sure if it will have English subtitles, but it most likely will in one of its language options.

    Romy Schneider's role is nowhere near as exposed as Monica Bellucci's, if you catch my drift. She has very little screen time actually. But it's to devastating dramatic effect. You know the basic story, from Under Suspicion -- a powerful man with squeamish secrets and enemies who know those secrets, suddenly under scrutiny for a terrible crime -- but it's much more powerfully and subtly and eerily presented in Garde à Vue, precisely because of the claustrophobic police station. Did I mention it's in the middle of the night? So it's all chiaroscuro shadows and darkness and pools of lamplight. In my memory, at least.

    And seriously, check out BELLMAN & TRUE if you can find it. (I have a VHS copy I cherish.) Absolutely one of if not my absolute favorite crime movie ever. I even tracked down the book by Desmond Lowden and it's great too.

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: