Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Moratorium on serial murderer mysteries?

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2010

    Ron, by your definition would a politician/policeman/or any other figure of authority who kills his rivals be a serial killer?

    Sean Shapiro

    ________________________________ From: Ron Clinton <clinton65@comcast.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, August 20, 2010 3:59:38 AM Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Moratorium on serial murderer mysteries?

    ...except the hitman is killing as part of his occupation; it's his job. He's getting paid, yes, but that's payment for professional services rendered. THE AX's protagonist is doing this to protect his personal security...it has intimate meaning to him. He is not doing it because it's part of his job description (as it is / can be for a thief (Parker) or spy), nor is he getting paid for the specific acts themselves, as a hitman does. Like a hitman (or thief), the end result of the AX's protagonist's actions may indeed be financial enrichment, but the contextual impetus for his killing has no direct relation to this potential reward. He's fighting to protect what he feels is rightfully his -- a job, stature, a lifestyle, financial security, etc -- and acting in a way that is perversely logical....this is quite different than killing because it's part of the job.

    Ron

    They're