RARA-AVIS: Re: Moratorium on serial murderer mysteries?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@...> wrote:

    > How about a Parker novel, like The Hunter, where Parker has to kill a bunch of people to get what he wants? Or really any hit man novel? I think of a serial killer novel as something where the killer is killing some other purpose than to do a job, and really the protagonist in The Axe is killing for the same sort of purpose as a hit man, except in the Ax the killer has more remorse than they typical hit man,, especially since he finds himself liking the people he needs to kill.

    Good point. I wonder how many people Parker kills in the entire series. It has got to be a very high number. Somehow the presentation of Parker as a professional doing a job makes him look more like some type of soldier than a psychopath. Block's hit man Keller is an even more extreme professional, though I don't find him totally convincing. When I read Keller's adventures, I think of the writer concocting them. With the Parker novels, I never think of the author. Parker is shown in the present, doing things from page one, and I am swept by the action.

    Best,

    mrt