RARA-AVIS: Noir and Randisi's response to Penzler, Kerry, Brian, Jack and MRT

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2010

    RJR says:

    > If the key to Noir is that the "protag" comes to a tragic
    > end, where's the suspense? Doesn't there have to be a ghost
    > of a chance that he might prevail? <

    There should be, and I suppose that's why there are so few successful, flat-out noir writers. It's a closed club. The best have something in their writing that makes the reader want to stay with it. Perhaps not a hope for success but a fear for success. You know, the old "this guy can't get away with this can he?"

    The suspense, I believe, is either the fear that the bad guy won't get caught or the curiosity about what the hell he or she will do next to screw up.

    Perhaps my Robert J. Randisi favorite, a book that ended in a tragic irony. The title escapes me, but the final murder involves as tragic misunderstanding. Maybe Bob can clue us as to the title. I know it was reprinted at least once. No spoilers here, I hope. But if Bob, who has probably written 700 books by now doesn't remember which book I'm talking about, I'll give him more details so he can give us the title.

    Jack

    http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis