Re: RARA-AVIS: Language is . . .

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 03 Aug 2010

    Texting-Speak might not form the best basis for an argument in favour of a linguistic free for all.  It is so limited in its capabilities and nuances that it really doesn't require rules or standards.  Call me back when someone writes the Great English Novel in Text-Speak and we'll discuss this further.

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Bill Crider <macavityabc@gmail.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tue, 3 August, 2010 18:37:01 Subject: RARA-AVIS: Language is . . .

      Kerry said: "Ah but Kevin, new languages are being invented as quickly as old ones are being standardized. Think "texting." Language is as language does."

    I can't refudiate that.

    Bill Crider