Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Lovecraftian mytery recommendations?

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 01 Aug 2010

    I agree that 'Falling Angel' was a terrific book.  A really original notion and a denouement that I certainly didn't see coming, despite the fact that there is no real cheating in the writing.  I thought the John Boorman's movie version,
    'Angel Heart' with Mickey Rourke, was far less satisfying because, even if I hadn't previously read the source book, it lacked the sense of involvement with the central character which the book achieved by way of its first person narrative.

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Sean Shapiro <ssshapir@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, 1 August, 2010 10:22:13 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Lovecraftian mytery recommendations?

    'Falling Angel' is a superb horror noir, the model fusion of supernatural horror

    and hardboiled mystery.

    Another story worth having a look at is Clive Barker's 'The Last Illusion'
    (vol.6 of his 'Books of Blood' collection) featuring his recurring PI Harry D'Amour. Not quite as overtly hardboiled as 'Falling Angel' but delivers some good, thoughtful thrills.

    Sean Shapiro

    .