RARA-AVIS: Re: Another noir definition

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2010

    Jack,

    Re your comment below on Mr. Kehr's proposed definition:

    "'... a pervasive sense of urban menace and malign fate, conveyed by a Germanic visual style full of threatening shadows and forced perspectives; a fall-guy hero wrenched out of a comfortable existence by an arbitrary twist of fate or a moment of moral weakness; a femme fatale who leads the hero on with her sexuality but ultimately only wants to use him and toss him away; a downbeat ending that finds the protagonist defeated or dead - or, preferably, both.' Delete the words after the first semicolon, and I believe we have an almost perfect description of noir fiction."

    Delete the words after the first semi-colon AND the word "urban," because there are too many rural examples.

    And, once you've done that, what you're left with is a long-winded way of saying "a dark and sinister atmosphere."

    JIM DOHERTY