Re: RARA-AVIS: McBain / John D. MacDonald and Ross MacDonald. Also a question for Jim Doherty.

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 24 Jul 2010

    I haven't actually read any McBain but I do have one to hand called 'The Big Bad City', an 87th Precinct story, which my wife bought some time ago and couldn't manage to get through.  Not sure this an altogether good sign as she has no difficulty whatsoever in reading Chandler and James Lee Burke, but I'll give it a try now that she's given up on it. Until I do, I would tend to be in the JDM camp, and particularly enjoy his Travis McGee series, even though it has become de rigueur to loftily declare that McGee was merely MacDonald's way of paying the bills, and that his best writing is in his standalone books.

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: James Michael Rogers <jeddak5@cox.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sat, 24 July, 2010 9:02:26 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: McBain / John D. MacDonald and Ross MacDonald. Also a question for Jim Doherty.

      Well, I'm awfully fond of Key To The Suite, Executioners, and The Neon Jungle, for instance.

    James

    ----- Original Message ----- From: Patrick King To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 08:12 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: McBain / John D. MacDonald and Ross MacDonald. Also a question for Jim Doherty.

    John, however, could sometimes sort of write beyond himself.....When he's on he's untouchable. I think his best books top McBain, which is saying something.