RARA-AVIS: Steinbeck is Noir

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 21 Jul 2010

    Speaking of noir ...

    I have an ancient copy of his novel "Of Mice and Men." (Bantam Books, A 1329, 35 cents!!) I had it blown up into poster-sized for my office at home.
    (A practice I recommend other rara-avians do with their favorite books.)

    When the novel was published in the late 1930s, the New York Times called it
    "a neat little thriller."

    To help put the novel into perspective, the cover of my copy reads: "A strong, beautiful novel about the deep love between two lonely men, and of the wanton girl who destroyed them both."

    That's noir, baby, noir.

    Or gay ...

    Good luck & best wishes.

    Fred Zackel

    (who now has several writings available on Kindle and other e-readers.)

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)