Re: RARA-AVIS: McBain question

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2010

    Didn't Rex Stout do the same thing with FAMILY PLOT? I'm not as familiar with his canon as many of the other Rare Birds here are, but I was thinking he did.

    Speaking of Stout, an author's work, and "posthumous" works involving that author's characters, has anyone here read the quote Stout gave on the subject of other authors writing pastiches or "homages" using his characters once he'd departed this world? He said:

    "Let 'em roll their own."

    Of course it goes without saying that this statement did nothing to discourage any number of pastiche writers, including ones hired by Stout's estate after his death to complete novels he'd left unfinished.

    An irony that might have appealed to Nero Wolfe himself.

    All the Best-

    Brian

    On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Roy <chiun9@aol.com> wrote:

    > This recent talk about McBain reminded me of something. Many years ago
    > McBain did an interview (don't remember if it was NPR or online) where he
    > talked about writing a final 87th precinct novel and then having it
    > published posthumously. Since he passed about five years ago, I'm assuming
    > he never got around to writing it? Does anybody know about any authors
    > besides Agatha Christie who pulled this off?

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)