RARA-AVIS: Re: Where have you gone Rara-Avis

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2010

    Mario wrote:

    > To my knowledge, there was no prohibition about movie postings... as long as they're related to hardboiled and noir. Plenty of relevant material there, and there have been in fact many discussions, both of film and TV series.
    >
    > In any case, let me make it clear that there no such prohibition in effect now

    Well, once upon a time, under founder Bill Denton's leadership, when there was an actual moderator, there was a definite prohibition against it. Bill would cut us a little slack, if it was a film or TV show adaptation of a published novel or short story, but once the eggheads and fanboys started salivating and squabbling and nitpicking over Fellini or Magnum P.I., he'd step in and pull the plug.

    You were on the list at the time -- I'm surprised you don't remember.

    As I recall, the list seemed to have a much tighter focus back then, and the discussions were a little sharper, with far fewer pretentious lectures on literature from people who, I suspect, had only seen the movie or googled some Amazon review. People back then seemed more likely to have read the books.

    Hmmm... I seem to be rapidly approaching old crank status. Next I'll be ranting about cellphones and Twitter...

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."