RARA-AVIS: Re: Automotive Noir

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2010

    Kent,

    Re your question below:

    "I was wondering if any of Rob Kantner's series featuring Detroit PI Ben Perkins would fall into this category. Kantner won three Shamus Awards for Best PBO. I've only read a couple, which I enjoyed and have one titled Made in Detroit to read. It mentions hot cars on the cover."

    I don't specifically recall a Perkins novel or story in which the main plot involves the auto industry in the same way that Loren Estleman's SINISTER HEIGHTS does.

    OTOH, precisely because it's set in the Detroit area, autos suffuse the series. Moreover, part of Perkins's backstory is that he once worked in an auto factory prior to becoming a suburban-apartment-complex-maintenance-man-cum-PI, and was once a UAW enforcer.

    JIM DOHERTY