RARA-AVIS: Automotive Noir

From: Kent Morgan (tkmorgan@mts.net)
Date: 15 Jul 2010

    I was wondering if any of Rob Kantner's series featuring Detroit PI Ben Perkins would fall into this category. Kantner won three Shamus Awards for Best PBO. I've only read a couple, which I enjoyed and have one titled Made in Detroit to read. It mentions hot cars on the cover.

    While digging through boxes in my garage this morning, I spotted a TPB titled The Keys to Tulsa by Brian Fair Berkey. The artwork on the front cover looks something like a Corvette, which may or may not have any connection to the contents. What did grab me enough to bring the book back into my house was the Publishers Weekly blurb: "It's as if the cast of Taxi Driver were to invade the set of True Grit: a sort Redneck Film Noir." That might resonate with the noir experts on the list. Anyone read it?

    Kent Morgan