Re: RARA-AVIS: Where have you gone Rara-Avis

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 12 Jul 2010

    That's actually quite helpful, although one can sort of pick holes in it right away. For instance, High Priest Of California or Appointment In Samarra don't really include much in the way of violence. And, for that matter, Chandler and Hammett include much less violence than their imitators did.

    But what all of the noir books do have, or should have, is the pervasive atmosphere of inescapable and ironic doom. That's sort of an unbroken line all the way up to Ellroy and Lehane.

    But, still, an informative and interesting link.

    James