Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: akashic noir/Citizen Vince

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2010

    Full disclosure- I had a story in one of Akashic's anthologies (SEATTLE NOIR), and I was living in Spokane, Washington in 1980 (the time and setting of CITIZEN VINCE).

    As far as I'm concerned the Edgar that CITIZEN VINCE won was richly deserved. It's a fine, evocative piece of writing with a strong sense of place, and a superb narrative flow. And for those of you who've read the book, I was actually IN Sam's Barbecue Pit, and Walter completely nailed the description of it, right down to the black velvet wall hanging of the dogs playing poker, the smell of the place, and the fact that the guy who owned and ran it had "inherited" the nick-name "Sam" when he bought the place.

    As for the Akashic series, I enjoyed participating in the SEATTLE NOIR portion, and have enjoyed selections from many of the others, including the Brooklyn, Chicago and LA ones.

    Your Mileage May Vary-

    Brian

    On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Joy <jmatkowski1@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I also enjoyed Citizen Vince, and I hope Over Tumbled Graves is as
    > refreshing. (It's waiting for me to read Crows Can't Count.)
    >
    > Joy
    >
    > On 7/1/2010 3:39 PM, davidcorbett622 wrote:
    > > I'm taking Havana Noir along for my July 4th reading (along with Misha
    > Glenny's McMafia and Jess Walter's The Zero (started it last night, loved
    > what I've read so far -- Citizen Vince was a gas).

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)