RARA-AVIS: In Praise of Emerald Noir

From: davidcorbett622 (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Jun 2010

    Declan Burke on his wonderful blog notes that the Thought Fox (editor Katherine Armstrong) has recently posted her 25 favorite writers during the past 20 years of "Emerald Noir." She writes:

    "Throughout the difficult years there were books that focused on the Troubles – you know the stuff – where an English spy from British Intelligence would invariably fall in love with a Catholic girl who would betray him to the IRA and he'd be executed. But there was a huge gap in the market for really good home grown crime fiction. Over the past twenty years or so there has been an emergence of what has become known as Emerald Noir. It's gritty, it's realistic, and contemporary Ireland – both north and south – is a whole lot better for it.

    The list is impressive (I'm glad Adrian McKinty made it -- brilliant writer), with a number of names I've neither heard of nor read. Time to get cracking, I suppose.

    Here's the link to Armstrong's list: http://www.thethoughtfox.co.uk/?p=2395

    And here's a link to Declan Burke's blog, Crime Always Pays: http://crimealwayspays.blogspot.com/2010/06/foxing-clever.html

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com