Re: RARA-AVIS: The Chandler / Hammett Ellroy-inspired debate

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 19 Jun 2010

    The Long Goodbye is for sure Chandler's most ambitious work but I vastly prefer Farewell, My Lovely. I think you can really feel the guy coming into his own in the earlier novel. It has the same sensitivity - one is tempted to call it tenderness - that shows in TLG but it also has that joie de vivre that one feels in almost all of his early stories. The wisecracks and descriptions are unforced (don't you find that Long Goodbye is sometimes stiff?) and some of the scenes are just unapproachably vivid. Marlowe's meeting with Moose Malloy just stays with you forever, for instance. That particular scene is as good as anything in Hammett's best. TLG was, as you accurately point, out not written at a happy point in Chandler's life and I think you can feel that in some of the writing which occasionaly strikes me as labored. I also think you can feel Chandler is getting a bit bored with the P.I. format (perhaps that last is obvious, given that in the later book he is trying so hard to move beyond the mystery).

    I have always felt that The Little Sister is shamefully underrated, by Chandler and by others. In my opinion it is one of his darkest and most cynical stories. I like it a good deal better than The High Window, which seemed a bit "phoned in". The titilular character is certainly one of Chandler's best villains ever. It also has my favorite wisecrack ever.....the one where the Sister says that her brother thinks people should see thmseves as they really are and Marlowe replies "Let's hope it never happens to him."

    As an addendum on Chandler's admiration for Hemingway, I note that Chandler was not above mocking the maestro himself. He allowed himself a devastating parody of "the best damn writer in the whole damn world" which was published in _The Notebooks Of Raymond Chandler_.

    James