RARA-AVIS: Gores's Spade and Archer

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2010

    I finally got around to reading this one... superb book. I didn't look, but I am sure that some reviewers had reservations regarding this sort of project, but Gores did a great job, the book stands on its own, and there is no feeling of pastiche. Gores managed to convey the same extreme clarity that Hammett's writing had --but then, Gores has that clarity in his "own" work, so it's not surprising. If you were hesitating, go for it. This is a very fine classic hardboiled novel.

    Best,

    mrt