Re: RARA-AVIS: NYT piece on Winterbottom's THE KILLER INSIDE ME

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2010

    I agree that AFTER DARK, MY SWEET is so far the best adaptation of Thompson to film. I have not yet seen Winterbottom's THE KILLER INSIDE ME. Jason Patric is amazingly good as Kid Collins, a very hard role to pull off without going over the top. Collins is insane, but he's not stupid. Everyone else in the story underestimates him, and over rates themselves... by a lot. Even the doctor who befriends Collins and who has the best assessment of his condition, overestimates his ability to control him. I was dubious about Bruce Dern as Uncle Bud. He just doesn't look like Uncle Bud to me. But he carried the role wonderfully. Rachel Ward seemed like an odd choice for Faye, too, but I was a little in love with her myself by the end of the film. AFTER DARK MY SWEET shoots holes all through this New York Times writer's European Jim theory.

    Patrick King