RARA-AVIS: Re:Munsey Nominees

From: David Corbett (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Jun 2010

    Mike:

    I see you're holding Pulpfest in Columbus -- or Klumbus, as we used to call it. The hotel's about a five minute bike ride from the house I grew up in, a neighborhood called Beechwold. Be forewarned, you're not in the most interesting part of town (which of course assumes there is one): the nearest attractions are shopping malls, strip clubs and the deaf school.

    If you want to have some nightlife, you'll have to venture either to campus (Go Bucks etc. blah blah), Bexley (on the east side, near Capital University and the Drexel theater) or German Village (a little south of downtown).

    But there are indeed some interesting cultural events that take place there, a pretty hip music scene, and one of the most eclectic morning radio shows in the country at WCBE. You can check it out online here: http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wcbe/ppr/index.shtml In all my traveling across the country, I've picked up on more new, previously unheard of but now favorite musicians and music on the WCBE morning show than any other station in the country except I Sing the Morning Eclectic out of KCSM in Santa Monica. (I think that was the name of the show.)

    If you need some more info on music clubs and the like, I've got a musician buddy, the drummer in the bar band I was in back when dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside men, and he can pass along some names, I'm sure.

    Have fun.

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com