RARA-AVIS: Gil Brewer

From: Bill Crider (macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 02 Jun 2010

    I'm just home from an extended weekend, and I'm catching up with some of the digests. The comments on Gil Brewer's porn work interest me because of another guy whose work I like, Harry Whittington. David Laurence Wilson, who commented on Brewer, can tell you a lot more about Whittington than I can because he's the one who wrote the excellent intro to the Stark House triple-decker edition that contains TO FIND CORA (originally published as CORA WAS A NYMPHO). David's intro ("Harry's Bastard Children") is worth the price of the book. Whittington wrote at least 38 novels that he more or less disavowed, but the Stark House volume lists them. I've bought as many of them as I can find, though I haven't read them yet. I'm a collector, and I like knowing about things like that whether I read them or not. Unlike Brewer, Whittington escaped the porn ghetto and got back into the big time before he died, and while he wasn't writing the old Gold Medal-style crime novels, he was making plenty of money. He didn't have Brewer's problems with alcohol, which might be one of the reasons he was able to make a comeback.

    Bill Crider