Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: David Peace

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 31 May 2010

    I thought Tokyo Ground Zero a fascinating depiction of the disruption by war of everyday lives and values. Especially important given the history of the first half of the 20th century, and the US into the second half, a period I have lived more than any other. I don't mind a stylistic challenge as long as it's not boring. Anyway, I read Peace, and will read more, as a result of earlier comments here on RARA, probably something written by Joy. Maybe not, but my point would be the changing role of criticism

    I don't think people value critics as much as in the past. Maybe it's the creeping information age, with entertainment an expanding part of experience and quick evaluation preferred, but I get the impression (possibly the wrong impression) that one critic is valued pretty much like the next, rather than sampled and possibly cultivated. At one time I used to read a few criticisms of the latest movie or book etc. and gradually came to trust the word of those whose tastes reflected my own. Sometimes I would find that a particular critic disliked something for reasons that I had enjoyed previous works, and I would make allowances. This process required a little more than a thumbs up or down evaluation, or a clever dismissal by the critic.

    Best, Kerry