Re: RARA-AVIS: David Peace

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 28 May 2010

    Well, Pat, you asked for it... That you may read and not like Peace is perfectly fine and yet could also be surprising since this is a discussion group called Rara-Avis about a certain genre of writing, of filmaking, of story telling...with (hence the name of the group) direct links to certain genre conventions and practices...
    ...but, throughout the years we have taken much liberties with all this of course...and thank god...so my argument is not there...

    When I get quite mad though is when atrocities such as ³real graphic novel stuff² are written by a critic of anything...it¹s just as if you had said something about a graphic novel and I answered in the next mail: ³pff..it¹s just like noir novels¹...a bit like some people in the old days talked about the pulps despite the fact the story in the one they had picked up was from Hammett or Thompson...but ³since it was a pulp²...just like the linguists say: you are always a peasant for somebody else...
    ..there have been graphic novels for more than 50 years now, in mass distribution, with many bad, atrocious ones, and a bunch of excellent ones...you may hate the genre but you cannot dismiss it, and I find it very
    Œuncritical¹ to use such terminology...regardless of the genre...after all you could also have said (following this line of Œthought¹): ³real japanese yakuza fim stuff¹...

    So pleae tell us your Œreal¹ objections to David Peace and please give us examples with your argumentation... I¹ll give you one, free of charge,he¹s arcane sometimes and it takes me 1/2 hr on the net to find out the reference he¹s made since I don¹t know all the jargon of Irish police and criminal life, nor the expressions or names used...to me it detracts a bit, but maybe I should simply read through...?

    Waiting dizzily for your Saturday answer...

    ...but first I will watch the French rugby final (Clermont-Perpignan) on TV5...another type of chest-pump roughhousing...

    Montois

    PS: good familiarity with the following website will help on the way... http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/