Re: RARA-AVIS: David Peace

From: Patrick Kennedy (pbjk2004@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 28 May 2010

    Joy,

    I gather that you have read some of David Peace's work.  Any good?  Better than any of the extracts quoted in the review?  I must say the overall impression I formed from the article was of pretentiousness cranked up to a pretty dizzy level, real graphic novel stuff.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't judge that type of writing at all; don't know its conventions well enough, and feel like just maybe someone is trying to con me into creating a depth in its gratuitous unconventionality which is in all probablilty not present at all. God, I feel good getting that off my chest!  Hope I haven't upset anybody, though.  Jeeze, I hope David Peace is not a member here!  Maybe I should have considered that slightly earlier, though...

    Patrick

    ________________________________ From: Joy Matkowski <jmatkowski1@comcast.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, 28 May, 2010 7:47:02 Subject: RARA-AVIS: David Peace

      Harper's magazine had an essay on David Peace that has now been reprinted by Powell's review-a-day program: http://www.powells.com/review?utm_source=review-a-day&utm_source=review-a-day&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_campaign=rad_20100528&utm_content=Review-a-day%20HEADER, or http://snurl.com/wv373.

    It's a positive review, yet if I hadn't read any of his books, I wouldn't want to.

    Joy