RARA-AVIS: Whip Hand

From: Randy Krbechek (randyk@psnw.com)
Date: 19 May 2010

    At 5/18/2010,

    "James Michael Rogers" <mailto:jeddak5@cox.net?Subject= Re%3A%20recent%20and%20upcoming%20reads%20and%20acquisitions>jeddak5@cox.net

    wrote:

    >I can't recall which hep cat posted the link to Whip Hand but I
    >really appreciate it. It's just a parody of the style, but a really
    >good one. Completely over the top.
    >
    >James

    I recently read Willeford's "Whip Hand" and "Honey Gal," both in the Black Mask editions. As someone pointed out, there are typos in the Black Masks. But the price is right - "Honey Gal" goes for $100 plus in the used market.

    I was disappointed by "Whip Hand" - he uses a Faulknerian multi-narrator approach, but some of the narrators (the country hicks) are hard to read through. Parody? I don't think so.

    On the other hand, "Honey Gal" was a sparkling read, and is definitely recommended. Story about an "accidental" preacher in a black church in Florida. I see that another publisher has this title under the name "The Black Mass of Brother Springer." (See Amazon.)

    Bye. Randy Krbechek Fresno, CA