RE: RARA-AVIS: recent and upcoming reads and acquisitions

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 May 2010

    I do tend to take any chance I can to promote O'Connell's work. I picked up Box Nine when it hit paperback. Blew me away. Picked up the next two when they hit paper, too. Then I got impatient waiting for Word Made Flesh so I ordered it from the UK. It's interesting to see the progression of the series, each getting further and further away from a traditional crime novel, not that even Box Nine worked completely within those tropes, though it does work with those tropes. Word Made Flesh and, especially, The Resurrectionist aren't really crime novels at all. They are something unique to themselves. The series is also interesting for how it's organized around a setting, Quinsigamond, not characters.

    Mark