RARA-AVIS: Re: whip hand

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 18 May 2010

    I think it's a parody of the "noir" style, almost as much as the "Richard Hallas" thing was. I don't mean that as a put-down. Recall that Chandler said he was surprised that so few people noticed how much he burlesqued the hardboiled detective story.

    Whip Hand is funny as hell, as well as ugly. Tarantino tries to hit that note, I think, but misses. At times I think I prefer Willeford to Jim Thompson.

    James