Re: RARA-AVIS: Winslow's California Fire and Life

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 18 May 2010

    Yes, that's a great one, and from what I know by working in a life insurance company for a long time, he got his facts right.
          I just finished his The Power of the Dog, which took me places I seriously did not want to go, back into the beginnings of the drug cartels, the Contras, the horrors in Central America. Living through it all, at a safe distance, was bad enough. Had I but known the topic beforehand, I wouldn't have bought it, but once I started reading it, I could not stop. It is merciless.

    Joy

     after reading Power of the Dog, all one has to do is pick up the newspaper and feel as if you're reading a continuation of the same story. like Mario says, Winslow is seriously good

    John Lau

     I'm not afraid to show my feminine side. I just don't have one.

    -----Original Message----- From: Joy Matkowski <jmatkowski1@comcast.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tue, May 18, 2010 7:57 am Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Winslow's California Fire and Life

    On 5/18/2010 10:38 AM, jacquesdebierue wrote:
    > The work of Don Winslow had been highly recommended here but for some reason I
    hadn't gotten around to reading him. Last week I picked up this title at the library and I found it a terrific story, including a prodigious amount of detail on fire investigations... I'm now eager to explore the rest of his books. This guy is seriously good.