RARA-AVIS: Dirda on Nightmare Alley

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 14 May 2010

    Michael Dirda gave a rave review of Nightmare Alley in yesterday's Washington Post:
    "While I've known for a long time that William Lindsay Gresham's "Nightmare Alley" (1946) was an established classic of noir fiction, I was utterly unprepared for its raw, Dostoevskian power. Why isn't this book on reading lists with Nathanael West's "Miss Lonelyhearts" and Albert Camus' "The Stranger"? It's not often that a novel leaves a weathered and jaded reviewer like myself utterly flattened, but this one did. . . ."Certainly, Gresham's book chronicles a truly horrific descent into the abyss. Yet it's more than just a steamy noir classic. As a portrait of the human condition, "Nightmare Alley" is a creepy, all-too-harrowing masterpiece." Full review at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051204784.html