RARA-AVIS: Very Cold For May

From: Raymond Tait (raymond.tait@ntlworld.com)
Date: 09 May 2010

    It has been for the last week and a bit so I decided to read Very Cold for May by William P McGivern after a friend spotted it on the shelf the other night and was amused by the appropriateness of the title. Ironically the title has nothing to do with the month but rather refers to a character called May. I have only read 2 chapters but it is quite different from Rogue Cop and The Darkest Hour which are the only two books by him I have read. They were published consecutively in 1954 and 1955 and have a number of similarities. Very Cold for May is an earlier novel and so far I wouldn't have guessed it was by the same author - much lighter in mood - so far...

    Coincidentally I picked up a copy of Amazing Stories (No 17, a UK edition from 1951) a few days ago which contains a story by him called Some Wolves Can't Kill! 'You couldn't meet a nicer young man than Percy Pettibone, at least not until he accepted a drink from a chap who didn't exist - and started baying a the moon!' I haven't read it yet but I had no idea that he had also had stories published in the Science Fiction magazines of the time, although of course many crime authors did.

    Raymond