RARA-AVIS: Re: Whats happening now

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 09 May 2010

    Vampire noir, huh?

    I've written exactly that, a book titled Vampire Crimes. I wrote it several years ago. My agent at the time had other books of mine out (Pariah, The Caretaker of Lorne Field), so it sat then. Once I switched agents, he sent it out last year, and the reaction we got at several houses was younger editors trying to acquire it, but ultimately getting shot down by their bosses for one of these 2 reasons:

    1)it was a vampire novel that wasn't a teen romance 2)it was a thriller that was actually noir

    Seriously, those were the reasons we were given. I have a film producer trying to put together a film deal for it, and I'm hopeful someday it will be published (like I was with Outsourced, which went through the same path and will be out this summer in the UK, US next Feb--and the reason we were given in 2005 when editors tried to acquire it and the book was ultimately rejected by them; they were afraid outsourcing wouldn't be an issue people would be concerned about in 2006), but you can never count on what NY will do.

    for anyone interested, last year Paul Brazil ran an interview with me about my book Killer, and also ran an excerpt of Vampire Crimes, and with Killer now out, he has just rerun both of these on his blog:

    http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2010/05/flashback-dave-zeltserman-interview.html