RE: RARA-AVIS: Used Books and ethics

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 04 May 2010

    I agree with your analogies Anthony, but we part company when it comes to new vs used bookstores. Although I have been known to wander into big chain bookstores (and buy more than one book at a time) I generally prefer used bookstores. They are, in and of themselves, worthy of our commercial support. There are fewer and fewer of them around and they need to be preserved. In fact, taking a broader view of things, they actually serve to promote the work of either forgotten or struggling authors by offering an inexpensive (re)introduction to their work. More often than not after I have found a book at a used shop that I really enjoy, and then ended up buying the author's more recent work(s) new at a chain store.

    My two cents (Canadian)

    Harry

    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Dauer [anthony.dauer@gmail.com] Sent: May 4, 2010 8:37 AM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Used Books and ethics

    Naw, I stick by it. Your argument doesn't hold up. If I purchase new parts, they're NEW parts. They still do not receive any money from the resale of the car. If I could purchase a new paper cover from the publisher to replace the old one on the used hardcover book I purchased or a page or some other PART of the book, then there would at least be a correlation, but the book publisher and the author are still not receiving additional money unless they are actually the ones reselling the used copy.

    I prefer new books myself. I only purchase used books if there is no longer a new one to buy. I like that new book smell. Could care less where its been.

    --
    Anthony Dauer
    Annandale, Virginia, US

    <*> To change settings via email: rara-avis-l-digest@yahoogroups.com rara-avis-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com