RARA-AVIS: Re: Congratulations to Dave Zeltserman on Derringer Nomination

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 01 May 2010

    Thanks everyone. I just got back from a few days in NY and found a few nice things waiting for me, including winning the Derringer and a starred review in PW for my upcoming The Caretaker of Lorne Field.

    For anyone familiar with my novels, "Julius Katz" is a change of pace for me. As Jim mentioned, it's a pastiche on Nero Wolfe (I love Rex Stout's writing, I love the Nero Wolfe books--I've read them all). In my novella, Julius Katz is the eccentric and brilliant (and lazy) detective, and his sidekick is Archie, a little piece of advance technology with a self-adapting neuron network that's been fed a library of hardboiled PI novels to build its experience base and its personality, and all it wants to do is adapt its neuron network to the point where it can beat Julius in solving a case. The story is going to be included in Ed Gorman's and Martin Greenberg's best mysteries anthology "By Hook or By Crook" out later this year, and there will be at least one more Julius Katz story in Ellery Queen. This one will have the little guy, Archie, being framed for murder, titled appropriately "Archie's Been Framed!".

    I'd like to announce also, the 3rd (and best) of my 'man out of prison' noir series, Killer, is being released today.

    --Dave http://www.davezeltserman.com/