RARA-AVIS: Noir for the classroom

From: Randy Krbechek (randyk@psnw.com)
Date: 10 Mar 2010

    Derek -

    Gee, this sounds like a lot of fun.

    My thought here is to be careful. Not because I'm worried about impressionable minds, but because much of noir is written for adults.

    So is lots of good literature. Hemingway is wasted on high school students - they just don't have enough life experiences to absorb it.

    Take "A Farewell to Arms." A lovely novel. Thank god I was 25 before I read it.

    I'm not worried about offending the kids - mine are both in high school, and I hipped my son to "Johnny Get Your Gun."

    Want something on the bleak side - have 'em read Dalton Trumbo.

    Me, I'd steer them toward Hammett's Continental Op stories. Too, too young for Chandler. Beautifully written, favorites of mine, not for kids.

    This is not kid literature. Don't waste it on them. Show 'em the great writers, but just wet the whistle. Give them something to grow into as they get older.

    Bye. Randy Krbechek English major in college Later, I found all the good stuff

    P.S.

    How about a diet of Shakespeare?

    Macbeth King Lear Henry IV part 1 Julius Caesar

    (never, never Romeo and Juliet or Tempest)

    That's 45 days of great classroom reading right there.

    And then - spend another 45 days on "Paradise Lost." Drink deeply from Milton's cup.

    That's a killer semester. The kids will never forget you.