Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir for the classroom?

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Mar 2010

    Sounds like a fun class. Best of luck with it.

    Without setting off the definition debates yet again, a few (fairly) books that are relevant to this list that I think could be enjoyed high school students without maddening a particular subset of parents are Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell (2006), Finn by Jon Clinch (2007) and Await Your Reply (2009) by Dan Chaon. None of them strike me as being noir in the same vein as a James M Cain classic.

    While not as recent, Thomas H. Cook's Breakhart Hill (1995) and Mortal Memory (1993) are two that I read when I was in high school that I enjoyed enough to re-read many years later.

    Chris