Re: RARA-AVIS: Sadism

From: sonny (sforstater@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2010

    if i understand you correctly, you feel that torture is never called for in real life. does that mean it's uncalled for in fiction? torture certainly happens in real life of course. is it only ok in fiction if the 'good' are getting tortured by the 'bad'? or even then?

    what about the cliched scenario of the person who knows (or might know) where the bomb is (or something similar)?  where is the line? what is torture versus interrogation? is any level (and if so, what level) justified to save innocent lives?

    killing is ok but torture is not? when it's torture for the sake of sick/perverted pleasure, the answer is easy, but not so easy if there's an attempt to get information that will help someone or many, prevent harm or death, etc.

    as far as books, writing, fiction, there is nothing that i would consider always over the line or never right or ok to use. i would have to consider each individual case. for me, no action, behavior, language (well it's all words i'm talkin about, the written word, not real life) is automatically off limits for fiction.

    in the case of miller/slob, the character of chaingaing, everything included, worked. his being tortured as a child, his mind/thoughts, the vietnam war scenes. if an anonymous villain did what he did, it would not have 'worked' for me. but as written, i felt various feelings for the character at different times. sympathy, horror, fear, disgust, anger. for him, what was done to him. how he was used by the government at times. and of course his intolerable behavior that had to be stopped if at all possible.