RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim Thompson: Where'd He Go?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "cptpipes2000" <cptpipes@...> wrote:

    > Kevin write:
    > >
    > > And if Thompson's literary rep can be so dramatically resurrected, who's next?
    > >

    > I sincerely do not know where his literary rep stands, but we recently saw Roberto Bolano become an overnight sensation after 25 years. I've enjoyed the books of his I've read so far and am glad he received enough hype for someone like me to learn about him.

    Unfortunately, it did him personally no good... he died at the age of 50. The mammoth novel 2066 he wrote so that his family would have some income, knowing that he was going to die. By the way, Bolaņo had a literary reputation a long time ago -- what he didn't have were many readers. Since a young age, he was recognized as a real literary force. I am talking about quality, not commercial success, of course. That did come relatively late and did not help him overcome his disease.

    > I suspect there are many other non-English writers who would merit the same readership if their work received a good translation.

    But of course, hundreds and hundreds of them.

    Best,

    mrt