Re: RARA-AVIS: Jim Thompson: Where'd He Go?

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 20 Feb 2010

    NOTHING MORE THAN MURDER sold 750,000 copies. Not sure about any of the others. I know Arnold Hano at Lion said that Thompson didn't sell very well, but not selling well 50-odd years ago is a very different thing from not selling well these days. A standard Gold Medal print run was 200,000 copies, for instance, whereas an equivalent first print run these days might be 20,000.

    Some interesting comparative sales figures, according to George Tuttle: Bruno Fischer's HOUSE OF FLESH: 1,800,212 copies Charles Williams' HILL GIRL: 1,226,890 Gil Brewer's 13 FRENCH STREET: 1,200,365 David Goodis's CASSIDY'S GIRL: 1,036,4997 http://noirfiction.info/what2.htm

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:14 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Jim Thompson: Where'd He Go?