RARA-AVIS: "The Departed", the anti-godfather.

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2010

    I happened to see "The Departed" again last night and it struck me that the story was the anti-Godfather.

    Where Mario Puzo glamorized organized crime, and made "disrespect" a capital offense, "The Departed" showed organized crime for what it is, and showed how some very good cops try to get it right.

    It may also beone of Jack Nicholson's most effective performances done without the Nicholson over-the-top flair. Or was it just because the character Costello was so over the top that Nicholson couldn't go any higher.

    The triple whammy ending ... priceless.

    One of Scorsese's best in my opinion.

    Jack Bludis

    http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis